Vulnerabilities in software and operating systems allow hackers to exploit your business laptop or desktop and cause damage. For example, Colonial Pipeline won’t forget May 2021 in a hurry. That’s when the company’s system was shut down as a product of a ransomware attack. The group that carried out the attack threatened to expose the data if a ransom of $5 million was not paid.
The company had no choice but to shut down its system to prevent the ransomware from spreading more information about the organization. Although the attack lasted a couple of hours, its impact was felt for months.
Unfortunately, even after the company restored its network, the system malfunctioned for some days before it was fixed correctly.
The vulnerabilities present in the company’s network made them easy victims of cybercriminals. Vulnerabilities in the business environment can result in data breaches and cost organizations money, data, and even business relationships with clients.
If the scammers are successful in exploiting the vulnerabilities that are weak links in a network, they can comfortably change, view, or even delete data depending on the privileges that are associated with it.
The only way businesses can stay protected is to identify and deal with these vulnerabilities proactively.
Here, we’ll look into some of the most significant vulnerabilities that put businesses at continuous risk.
3 Categories Of Vulnerabilities That Expose Businesses to Risk
- Vulnerability in Microsoft
Microsoft found about 128 vulnerabilities that many businesses were exposed to in products. Among these 128 discovered vulnerabilities, ten were considered critical, while two were already in existence before they were released in patches.
Surprisingly, Microsoft confirmed that at least of the vulnerabilities were already being exploited by cybercriminals. It further confirmed the importance of security updates in Microsoft applications and systems. Some of the vulnerabilities found in Microsoft are:
- CVE-2022-24521: While analyzing the various vulnerabilities in Microsoft, a vulnerability was discovered in Windows Log File System (CLFS). It was described as the most dangerous of all. This vulnerability is one of the easiest to exploit, and unfortunately, hackers are already aware of this information and are using it.
- CVE-2022-26904: It is a vulnerability in the Windows User Profiles System Service. This is a privilege elevation vulnerability found in Microsoft. This vulnerability was already prevalent. As such, it wouldn’t come as a surprise if hackers start exploiting it before others.
- CVE-2022-26809: This vulnerability is found in Windows Remote Procedure Call Runtime Library. This vulnerability is believed to be wormable. This implies that the vulnerability can launch exploits and disrupt a network.
- Vulnerabilities in Google Chrome
Google Chrome is a popular browser used by many internet users. In recent times, different vulnerabilities have been found in Google Chrome. These vulnerabilities can become very severe that they will permit arbitrary code execution.
If a hacker successfully exploits these vulnerabilities, it can provide the cybercriminal with the access to execute an arbitrary code within the browser. In addition, if the application’s privileges permit it, an attacker can easily view, modify or even delete available data.
However, if the application is designed only to enable fewer rights, the impact is less severe, especially if it comes with an administrative privilege. Government parastatals, small and medium-sized businesses, including large organizations, are at the risk of being exploited through the vulnerabilities in Google Chrome. Some of these vulnerabilities are:
- CVE-2022-1494: This vulnerability is associated with insufficient data validation in trusted types.
- CVE-2022-1495: This is a vulnerability in insecurity in correct UI in downloads. Businesses are at continuous risk if they keep encouraging inappropriate downloads, especially from illegal sites.
- CVE-2022-1500: This vulnerability is called inappropriate data validation in Dev tools.
- Vulnerability in Oracle
- CVE-2022-21498: This vulnerability is present in the Java JM component that is available in the oracle database server. Hackers can exploit the vulnerability by gaining access to establish privilege with access to the system network to affect the Java JM. If the hackers successfully carry out this exploitation, they can either delete or modify any data within the Java JM.
- CVE-2022- 21410: This is a vulnerability of the Enterprise Edition Sharding Component of the Database Server. When hackers carry out this attack successfully, they can take over the oracle database.
- CVE- 2022- 21498: This vulnerability in the RDBMS Gateway or the Generic ODBC connectivity component. This vulnerability allows hackers to gain access to manipulate the information on the server.
- Widespread Apache Log4j Vulnerability
Apache Log4j is used widely in cloud applications by multiple developers. This vulnerability allows the attacker to carry out just about any attack they desire on the computer system. To this effect, the attacker can execute any code remotely on the device.
Get Help Identifying & Addressing Network Vulnerabilities
Vulnerabilities in your devices, cloud tools, and network put your business at serious risk. You can avoid this risk by contacting us at (303) 292-4934 or visiting our website for further information.