This Month: What is Server Hosting?
Welcome to B-Comp Tech-Talk: a monthly blog series that explains technical jargon in simple terms. Last month we focused on data centers. This month we are covering server hosting. A server is basically a hub where information can be stored, processed and delivered across computer networks or via the internet. A server allows people to access and share information. The word server can apply to both the hardware and software that is necessary to handle the level of information requests that your business will need. Companies that offer server hosting provide third-party support of another company’s data center. Because server hosting can be complicated, expensive and dynamic, outsourcing this task has many benefits.
Benefits of External Server Hosting
- Enhanced security of your company’s sensitive data (firewalls, physical security, etc.)
- More cost-effective way to manage your data center
- Reduced need for a robust internal IT department
- Elimination of need to purchase expensive equipment updates
- Improved protection against physical damage of the server (fires, temperature control, etc.)
- Improved monitoring of your data
- Opportunity to share server hosting to reduce costs
- Dedicated hosting capabilities for larger or more complicated systems
- 24/7 access to technical support, minimizing your system downtimes
- Improved data backup protocols
Types of Servers
There hundreds of different types of servers that can help a company run smoothly. In addition to network servers that allow for communication among computers in a company, there are also web servers that allow you to access information via the internet. Email servers allow for messages to be sent virtually. If you own a company, you most likely will need one or more server types to operate successfully.
Costs of Server Hosting
While it is necessary to pay a monthly fee for server hosting, the cost is often well worth the time savings, reduced infrastructure headaches and decreased maintenance frustrations. When you hire the right server hosting company, you will have peace of mind that your data is secure and protected and that any technological issues will be quickly corrected. When your server goes down, your business will most likely suffer, so prompt and effective attention to problems is paramount to your success.
Server Hosting & Support at B-Comp Services
B-Comp Services is an IT solutions and support company that provides dedicated server support as well as server hosting. We can also help set up Hyper-V virtualization that allows businesses to host multiple servers or operating systems on a single computer. This innovative service allows you to consolidate multiple systems through one machine, allowing you to streamline your IT solutions. To learn more about server hosting or server support, contact B-Comp Services at (303) 282-4934 or visit us online by clicking here